Machining Large Crankshafts with PM 430 / PM 460 / PM 480 Machines
The PM 4 series is equipped with linear motors and hydrostatic guideways in the X and Z-axes, which guarantees maximum dynamics ensuring excellent grinding results.
The main and pin bearings are ground in a single clamping operation using conventional corundum or CBN grinding wheels. This ensures high productivity while allowing maximum flexibility, enabling fully automatic, semi-automatic or manual grinding processes. Workpieces are driven from both sides either using drivers or hydraulic chucks depending on the task to be performed, whereas the workpiece spindle is directly driven by a torque motor. The actual grinding spindle is designed as a motor spindle. Whenever higher torque is required, a separate motor with belt transmission is available if desired. The large automatic front doors make the machining area easily accessible and the easy-to-use operator interface ensures high-output production and fast workpiece set-up times.
Key Features of Large Crankshaft Machining:
- Pin chasing of large crankshafts: main and pin bearings are machined on the same machine
- Use of conventional corundum or CBN grinding wheels
- High productivity and maximum flexibility
- Ability to perform fully automatic, semi-automatic and manual grinding processes
- In-process diameter measurement ensures the highest precision and roundness testing inside the machine
- Universal axial and radial alignment of the shaft prior to grinding for best quality with greatest flexibility
- Very solid 2-axis NC steady rests for optimal support of the crankshaft