Reduce brake disc unit costs with the VSC 400 DUO vertical machining centers
The production of car brake discs is a difficult balance between producing safe, efficient components with extreme accuracy and process reliability. The cost pressure is also extremely high, and flexibility is key because changing production batches must use the same, high-speed lathes with short set-up times.
With the VSC series pick-up lathes, EMAG offers production solutions that combine quality, productivity and process reliability.
The VSC 400 DUO is designed for producing large batch sizes of small and medium parts with a focus on flexibility. Both simultaneous machining and different operations (OP10/OP20) can be performed separately. This improves the machines flexibility, and allows for it to be adapted based on changes to batch size.
Advantages of the VSC 400 DUO:
- Each machine is a production cell that utilizes its pick-up spindle to load itself
- Multifunctional production tool: Turning, drilling, milling, grinding possible
- Extremely short chip-to-chip times
- Free chip flow
- All accuracy defining machine assemblies are fluid-cooled
- The work spindle with a hydro-static guideway in the Z-axis ensures outstanding component quality and a high tool life for soft and hard machining operations
Manufacturing System for Brake Discs
The example in the picture shows the complete machining of brake disks in 4 clamping operations:
- OP 10 / OP 10 VSC 400 DUO: Rough-turning
- OP 20 / OP 20 VSC 400 DUO: Rough-turning
- OP 30 / OP 30 VSC 400 DUO: Drilling
- OP 40 / OP 40 VSC 400 DUO: Finish-machining
- OP 50: Balancing (alternatively post-process measurement, marking)
Brake Disc Machining for a Variety of Different Components and Small Batch Sizes
The VM 9 turning center is perfect for machining different workpiece variations in small quantities.
With the VM 9 modular turning center, EMAG offers a machine concept that covers a wide range of applications because of its ability to combine technologies like turning, milling and drilling – including intelligent machine design.
The easily accessible machining area and the bottom-mounted workpiece spindle ensure short set-up times and maximum flexibility in the production of chucked components.
- Stable machine base with exceptional damping properties
- High-quality linear guides, measuring systems and cross slides (X+Z)
- Precise heavy-duty machining thanks to powerful workpiece spindle with integrated C-axis (direct drive)
- Soft and hard machining
- Tool turret with up to 12 driven tools
Further information about the VM 9