The acquisition of Samputensili Machine Tools and Samputensili CLC by the EMAG Group - including the 87 employees across two sites near Bologna and Reggio Emilia, Italy - took place on February 3, 2021. The two companies will be legally integrated into the newly founded EMAG technology company, EMAG SU Srl. Over time, the plan is for the two plants of Samputensili Machine Tools and Samputensili CLC to physically merge, with a shared location near Bologna, Italy. The new company is aiming to reach 35 million euros in sales by 2025.
EMAG Group Acquisition: Samputensili Machine Tools and Samputensili CLC have become EMAG SU
16/02/2021 - Markus Isgro
EMAG has decades of experience in an extremely diverse range of technologies and applications. The machine builder from southern Germany controls the entire process chain from soft to hard machining – a key factor in its ability to successfully manufacture individual production solutions and complete production systems. With the acquisition of Samputensili Machine Tools and Samputensili CLC, EMAG is systematically expanding its scope of technology by adding a range of gear production processes: shaving, gear shaping, tooth flank grinding as well as profile grinding and generating grinding. These methods perfectly supplement EMAG’s existing portfolio, which already includes hobbing, chamfering and deburring. The benefits of this addition are bigger than just the individual technologies, it shapes EMAG’s entire mechanical engineering process by making new, holistic production solutions possible. These include everything from the first turning and gear cutting operations on a blank, to the grinding of diverse shoulders, and even the final tooth flank grinding step – the latter with Samputensili technology.
By acquiring Samputensili Machine Tools and Samputensili CLC, EMAG is not only expanding its technologies, but also its customer base. This is because the technology of the Italian machine manufacturers is also used in the production of pumps and compressors, as well as components for wind turbines, aerospace applications, shipbuilding, industrial transmissions and agricultural machinery.
"The powertrain electrification in automotive engineering increases the quality requirements for gears in terms of mechanical load, accuracy and noise emission. The hard fine machining of gears plays a decisive role here," explains Achim Feinauer, CTO of the EMAG Group. "We are also striving to highlight our extensive process expertise in the non-automotive industries. The networking opportunities for our sales department within Samputensili’s customer industries provides us with a really great opportunity to do that.”
Win-Win for Both Companies
Samputensili Machine Tools technology is in high demand all over the world, in industries ranging from aerospace, automotive, shipbuilding and more. These industries profit from the expertise and experience that the Italian machine manufacturer has in gear machining. Within these industries, high-precision grinding, shaping and shaving machines are used, and few companies can match the wide variety offered by Samputensili. With this background, and wide ranging level of experience, Samputensili has an excellence chance of continuing its success within the market. This is even more true because each of these industries is undergoing technological transformations, while still striving to stay competitive on a global level. These changes require very specialized mechanical engineering, with many users requiring increasingly powerful production solutions that reduce costs per unit, while also meeting growing demands on component quality, within the micrometer range. In this area, Samputensili will profit from the global reach of the EMAG Group. The South German machine manufacturer handles the global distribution of machines, laying the foundation for a successful future, by supplementing and expanding existing sales and service structures within Samputensili.
When it comes to application areas for certain EMAG technologies, customer consulting is vital. “Most markets and industries are very tight-knit, and having a presence close by to provide advice and support for individual questions or concerns is critical. With EMAG’s global sales and service organization, we are guaranteeing that. We have set a goal for ourselves to open up new application areas for EMAG SU, and are focused on continued growth,” says Markus Heßbrüggen, CEO of EMAG GmbH & Co. KG. Additionally, the companies are combining their production network: In the future, various subassemblies and parts for Samputensili machines will be manufactured at EMAG’s production site in Zerbst – one of the most sophisticated tool factories in Europe. The final assembly of machines will remain in northern Italy. With this system, many Samputensili solutions will be completed faster, and more efficiently.
For over 50 years, Samputensili has been developing and producing a wide range of machine tools at the company's headquarters in Bentivoglio close to Bologna, Italy – recently under the umbrella of the independent company, Samputensili Machine Tools. The focus has been on rough and fine machining of gears, shafts, worms, rotors and other screw-type workpieces used in machine manufacturing, aerospace technology, the automotive industry and robotics. With its outstanding innovative solutions – for example for generating grinding, shaving and shaping – Samputensili offers its customers a competitive edge and a quick return on investment. High-tech features, such as linear drives, energy-saving concepts, parallel processes and integrated measuring and dressing units are evidence of the high standard of the company. Samputensili continuously invests in research and development, with a focus on efficiency and minimizing the effect of the machine on the environment.
In 2019, Samputensili Machine Tools acquired the Italian company CLC, a traditional manufacturer of hobbing and shaping machines. Since then, the new company has been producing gear hobbing and shaping machines in Cadelbosco di Sopra in the area of Reggio Emilia. Samputensili CLC supplements the portfolio of Samputensili Machine Tools with gearing-related products.
About the products of Samputensili Machine Tools and Samputensili CLC
Samputensili Machine Tools offers an extensive range of innovative machine tools that cover the entire gearing process:
- These include chamfering and deburring machines for manufacturing spur and helical gears. Since the chamfering, rolling and deburring is performed in a single process, extremely short cycle times can be achieved. Self-centering tools guarantee symmetrical chamfers on both sides of the workpiece.
- The profile grinding machines with their powerful main spindles are used for the machining of internal and external gears, crown gears, worms, rotors and other screw-type workpieces. The production of both small and large batch sizes are possible. The technology stands out for its precision, short tooling times and reliability. Integrating dressing units safeguard the process reliability. To accommodate various grinding wheel sizes and types, a variety of spindles with the corresponding power and performance is available. It is easy to connect the machines to various automation technologies and to integrate internal measuring systems.
- The generating grinding machines are customized solutions for the rough-machining and finishing of gears. Offering short chip-to-chip times, intelligent axis concepts, thermal and mechanical stability, as well as easy user navigation, these machines provide great performance boosts in the grinding of large workpieces and geometries. With the SG 160 SKYGRIND, Samputensili also has the first dry grinding machine in the world. This is made possible by an intelligent combination of skiving and generating grinding.
- The shaving machines can perform all shaving processes, depending on the model and the axis configuration – from plunge and transverse shaving to underpass and diagonal shaving. This makes it possible to produce shafts and toothed gears in a variety of sizes for use in automotive, motorcycle, industrial and pump transmissions. The high rigidity of the machines guarantee high precision. Powerful tool and workpiece axes safeguards efficient processes with varying batch sizes.
- The tool resharpening machines are used for grinding the profiles of hobs and form cutter disks, for sharpening shaving cutters and for grinding master gears. A variety of grinding methods – depending on the task – ensure that the cycle times are minimized and tools are perfectly ground. Quick-change solutions simplify machine operation.
- Under the brand Samputensili CLC, horizontal gear hobbing machines for shafts and long workpieces are produced, as well as vertical shaping machines. The solutions are powerful, have a modular design and can be flexibly configured for a wide range of customer requirements.
More information: www.samputensili.com