Mass production manufacturing with the VL 4 vertical turning center
The modular concept of the VL 4 makes it possible: The vertical turning center perfectly adapts to various applications, features an extremely compact design and has powerful drives. The design of the VL 4 turning center allows for the flexible implementation of various manufacturing technologies for soft and hard machining.
The machine base made from MINERALIT® polymer concrete allows for low-vibration machining and ensures long tool life as well as very high machining quality when turning workpieces. The main spindle is fastened to the front side by means of a compound slide rest and enables dynamic motion along the X and Z-axes. A Y-axis for complex geometries is available as an option.
A 12-post tool turret, which stands out by its very short indexing times and outstanding stability, is used for the actual machining. Excellent accessibility of the machining area and tool turret allow for the vertical turning center to be retooled in a comparably short time.
A measuring station outside the machining area is available as an option for the vertical turning centers of the VL series. The measuring station is installed between the machining area and the pick-up station. Measuring is thus performed while loading/unloading, which saves considerable time.
Vertical turning centers with integrated automation
The working spindle of the turning center loads and unloads itself from the integrated parts storage using the integrated pick-up automation system. This has two distinct advantages: On the one hand, non-productive times are reduced to an absolute minimum, as the loading position is directly alongside the machine tool’s machining area. On the other, any automation solution can be integrated to supply the vertical turning center with raw parts.
TrackMotion—modular automation solution for modular machines
The VL series turning centers can also be easily interlinked. The automation of the line is thus tailored to the customer’s preference using “modular automation systems.” The TrackMotion automation system has been specifically designed for modular vertical turning centers and makes it very easy to interlink several machines.
|Chuck dia., max.|| mm|
| 260 |
|Swing diameter|| mm|
| 280 |
|Workpiece dia., max.|| mm|
| 200 |
|Workpiece length, max.|| mm|
| 200 |
|X-axis travel|| mm|
| 740 |
|Y-axis travel (optional)|| mm|
| ± 30 |
|Z-axis travel|| mm|
| 415 |
|Main spindle: Power rating at 40 % / 100 % duty cycle|| kW|
| 25 / 18 |
33.5 / 24
|Main spindle: Torque at 40 % / 100 % duty cycle|| Nm|
| 280 / 202 |
206.5 / 149
|Main spindle: Speed, max.||rpm||4,500|
- Highest productivity due to short distances
- Minimal space requirements owing to compact design of vertical turning centers
- Full automation: the machines load themselves using the pick-up spindle, the raw and finished parts storage is included
- The 12-post tool turret (also for driven tools) features very short indexing times
- All serviceable units are freely accessible and thus easy to reach
- The machine base made from MINERALIT® polymer concrete ensures high stability and outstanding vibration damping
- Vertical machining guarantees optimal chip flow
- With the addition of a Y-axis in the turret, the machine tools can be equipped to machine complex geometries